See below for a Deck Tech submitted by one of Gen Con’s top 8 finishers!
Following last Friday’s exploration of the top mill decks from Gen Con, today’s Deck Tech submission comes from $2k Constructed Top 8 player Ryan Lewis. Similar to his list from Gen Con, this deck revolves around Legion of Doom:
- The Joker – Certifiably Insane x3
- Harley Quinn – Former Psychiatrist x3
- Harley Quinn – Dr. Harleen Quinzel x2
- Catwoman – Thief x1
- General Zod – Dru-Zod x2
- Lex Luthor – CEO of Luthercorp x1
- 2 Intelligence (C38-JL) x3
- 3 Intelligence (C43-JL) x1
- 3 Intelligence (C46-BM) x1
- 7 Intelligence (U99-JL) x2
- 2 Special (C39-JL) x2
- 3 Special (C44-JL) x2
- 1 Strength (C32-GL) x3
- 3 STR/INT/SP (U97-BM) x3
- 6 INT/SP (U99-BM) x2
Legion of Doom is a well established archetype, but even within a firm “Villain deck” there are still several branching paths. Amongst builds that share similar goals and strategies, Villain decks are further differentiated by their toolboxed Character slots (see candidates below). In general, LOD decks are inherently well positioned against singular strategies due to on-demand access to cards like Catwoman or General Zod.
In this build specifically, Legion of Doom also overlaps with The Joker – Certifiably Insane to create a consistent card advantage engine with Harley – while still allowing for some standard Villain tech. Other cards to consider:
- More situational villain Characters (Freeze, Deathstroke, etc)
- General Character answers (Power Players, Knockout, etc)
- Endless Waltz Package – since this deck already fits three copies of Joker XR, the addition of 2-3 more Jokers (such as The Joker – Unpredictable) unlocks access to:
- 1 Intelligence (R126-BM) – this highly disruptive effect also has great synergy with 3 Intelligence and Joke’s On You)
- Endless Waltz itself – a recursive draw engine for 0 MP!
If you’d like tips for your deck (or simply want to see it featured on the blog), submit your list to OP@paniniamerica.net with “DECK TECH” in the subject line.